Going through a divorce or legal separation can be a very difficult period for you. It also is a time when you may be required to make important decisions that have a large and lasting impact on the rest of your life.
The law governing the division of marital property, spousal maintenance, child custody and support, and parenting time is complicated and often outcomes are subject to the discretion of a judge. It can be very important to have an experienced attorney who can be an effective problem solver, who can help you make the choices that are best for you and your children, and who can be an effective advocate in court when necessary.
Legal advice can be particularly important if any of these apply:
- A spouse owns a business or is self-employed.
- A spouse has a retirement plan through his or her employment.
- A spouse is disabled.
- There is a significant difference in the earning abilities of the spouses.
- You are unable to agree on custody and parenting time.
- A spouse has concealed or transferred assets.
- Your spouse is represented by an attorney, but you are not.
- One spouse has maintained exclusive control over the family’s finances.
- You have a child who will attend college.
I have three decades of experience and have helped hundreds of clients work through these complicated issues. Please call me so we can discuss how I can help you as well.
See also Family Law